There are always people in cafes trying to get some work done be it course reading or plugging away at your laptop and I believe Brew/Well is the perfect study cafe. Tucked in a corner behind the Korean supermarket Assi, Brew/Well would have lingered in obscurity if it weren't for a mob of stellar Yelp reviews. Free WiFi and plentiful outlets help, but I believe its Brew/Well's atmosphere that sets it apart.
The baristas were quite friendly and I got the impression that most of their customers were regulars and I can see why. The coffee was from Heart Roasters of Portland and my barista handled it well. My latte, thought a bit on the mild side, had milk steamed to perfection with an almost graham cracker sweetness. My espresso's crema was luxuriously smooth with an acidic body and citric tang. And though I have had better espresso shots in LA, I would recommend getting the Sweet E off their specialty menu. This item is a double shot of espresso with honeyed foam; the airy sweetness of the honey gives an aftertaste that really balances out what would have been a tart shot. In fact, what keeps me coming back to Brew/well is their specialty menu. I'd love to try their Toasted Lavendar Latte or their interpretation of the affogato using marscapone gelato instead of vanilla ice cream. My only real disappointment was their cold brew, which didn't have much flavor to it. But as I have said before I can sympathize with this because making cold brew can be a fickle process and not everyone likes it strong like I do.
This gem has everything you need for hours of concentration: good coffee and cold-pressed juices, soft music, healthy paleo-friendly snacks as well as pastries and, most importantly, other studious cafe-goers. Every time I have been to Brew/Well it was filled with people engrossed in their laptops or books. Not to say it would be a bad place to take a friend, but you and your friend had better be ready to work! That said, there is a separate, outdoor section with rainbow-accented furniture and Christmas lights that would be perfect for conversation.
Atmosphere: Artistic Studyroom
Beans: Heart
Price: $; food $$
3525 W 8th St. Los Angeles, CA 90005 Google map
https://www.facebook.com/BrewWellCoffee




0 comments:
Post a Comment