Cafe Demitasse

cafe demitasse santa monica little tokyo cold brew


I originally saw Demitasse at their Little Tokyo location: a stretched street-side bar, sparsely staffed and airy. Their Santa Monica cafe was very different, but in a nice way. It was quite crowded and everyone had come to meet at least two other people. Most were in their late 30's and looked as though they had just come from Yoga or Brunch and, considering the neighborhood I shouldn't have been too surprised. I quickly got the sense this was not just a one day event: this was their neighbor coffee bar.

cafe demitasse santa monica little tokyo cold brew drip

While the outside looked an interchangeable storefront inside of an apartment complex, the inside was a mixture of small tables wrapping around the wall opposite the bar. My only complaint was it all seemed very generic. I can understand that the outside is fixed, but it would be nice if there were some more decoration on the inside to make it look like its own shop instead of part of the building.

cafe demitasse santa monica little tokyo sign


A good sign of fine cold brew is Yama cold brew towers in use. Unlike many other shops, the cold brew at Demitasse is available as "Kyoto style" aka as a concentrate brewed in the tower or as an unconcentrated iced coffee. The Kyoto style was so beautifully presented, several passers by to ask what it was. The shape of its container prevented dilution while keeping the brew cold, which I can appreciate as a lover of strong cold brew. My only complaint was its flavor. I have never tasted a coffee that had such a strong snap pea notes. Usually snap pea is a faint, bitter, crisp flavor among others, but in their Kyoto cold brew it was powerful. When I held it on my tongue I could get some citrus notes, but the brew was overwhelmingly green. Though it wasn't the only flavor I want from a cold brew, the fact that such a unique flavor stood out made me want to try their other beans to see what other unusual flavors that have pronounced in their roasting.

Atmosphere: Local Social
Beans: In-house
Price: $
1149 3rd Street Los Angeles, CA 90401 Google map 

http://cafedemitasse.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment